Natural Cold Remedies
There are a lot of viruses causing the common cold such as Rhinovirus or Adenovirus, which can last up to 7-10 days. Antibiotics do not treat viral infections, they only treat true bacterial infections. When you have a cold, it’s best to treat the symptoms, rest, and hydrate until it runs its course.
Unfortunately, over the counter medications come with side effects. NSAIDs like Advil and Aleve can cause stomach ulcers, disrupt the microbiome, and affect the kidneys causing elevated blood pressure. Tylenol depletes a powerful antioxidant made by the liver. Decongestants such as Sudafed cause elevated blood pressure and if you use the nasal spray Afrin more than 3 days, you get rebound congestion.
Here are natural remedies to try instead to help manage the symptoms and support your immune system:
- Eat plants: Eat whole plant foods which contain vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, zinc, and magnesium to help fight infections.
- Vitamin C: This vitamin boosts the immune system. Take 1000mg daily until your symptoms improve.
- Hydrate: Drink at least half your body weight in ounces. Water helps our lymph system to flush out toxins.⠀
- Herbal teas: Echinacea is an herb that helps fight viral infections and boosts your immune system. Also Traditional Medicinals have blends for sore throat and the respiratory tract.
- Zinc: This mineral also helps boost the immune system and fight viral infections.
- Saline rinse: Use a ceramic neti pot to rinse sinuses with saline water to help remove mucus.
What are your favorite natural cold remedies?