Let’s talk about deodorant! Deodorants that are antiperspirants contain aluminum which clog your sweat glands to prevent you from sweating. However, this keeps us from getting rid of toxins. In addition to aluminum, there are other chemicals that could affect our health.
Harmful chemicals in Deodorants:
1. Aluminum – can increase the risk of breast cancer & Alzheimer’s. Breast cancer is most common in the upper outer quadrant of the breast which is where most of the lymph nodes are located so chemicals may be absorbed through our skin into our lymph system.
2. Parabens – artificial preservatives that have estrogen-like properties; also linked to breast cancer, decrease sperm in males, & cause early puberty in children.
3. Phthalates – linked to birth defects , asthma, and disrupts our hormones.
4. Propylene Glycol – from natural gas (unless it’s derived from vegetables), can cause skin irritation.
5. Polyethylene Glycol – Originally found in antifreeze but is also found in deodorants. It is a toxin to our nervous system, cause skin irritation, and possibly damage the liver and kidneys.
6. Triclosan – the FDA classifies as a pesticide and probable carcinogen by the EPA, is linked to disrupting our hormones.
7. TEA/DEA (triethanolamine and diethanolamine) – adjust the pH but absorption long term can damage the kidneys and liver. This is banned in Europe due carcinogenic effects.
8. Fragrance – may contain synthetic chemicals that can disrupt your hormones and irritate your skin.
Choose a deodorant that does not have aluminum and is made from natural ingredients and essential oils for fragrance. I definitely recommend trying out different ones. Because our bodies are unique due to our natural oils and pH, one brand make not work for everyone. Also know that it’s ok to sweat so we can help our bodies get rid of toxins, not to keep them in. I definitely sweat a lot, especially since I live in south Florida so I tend to wear tanks and light, flowy clothes which helps.
My favorite deodorant is Native which is now found at Target and Walmart! This one even lasts through my workouts which is is a must. It does take a couple of weeks for your body to get used to it so you may have to reapply through the day. After the first couple of weeks, I now only need to apply once and it lasts all day!